New Bern ArtWorks & Company was founded in 2005 by Martha Williams and was originally named the Art Factory. The studio and gallery began on Craven Street in downtown New Bern where Morgan’s Tavern and Grill is currently located. In July 2007 the studio and gallery moved to Middle Street and the name was changed to New Bern ArtWorks.
Martha’s purpose and vision for the gallery was to create a venue for artists to exhibit and sell their work and to create an environment for artists to work and share ideas. Another part of the vision was to create a format that would be simple and that would give unity to the gallery. Thus began the idea of the simple box. For the first four years, all artwork in the gallery was created on boxed panels or wrapped canvases.
In 2009 artists Jim Bisbee, Donna Slade and Vicki Vitale joined Martha to form New Bern ArtWorks & Company LLC. The gallery was still located at 323B Middle Street until the purchase and renovation of the 1918 (4,500) square-foot, historic former Baxter Jewelry Store. The renovation and move was completed in 2011. The gallery is now located at 323 Pollock Street. New Bern ArtWorks & Company remained the same in many ways but the vision broadened.
In 2013, the relocation two years behind them, the partners decided it was time for a new name, “Fine Art at Baxters.” The new name will more accurately reflect the line-up of high-quality fine art created by emerging and established local and regional artist exhibited in the stately Baxter building.
The gallery is still committed to presenting the finest quality and widest selection of original art including paintings, ceramics, pottery, sculpture, photography, glass, and jewelry.